Third Way Policy Modules
Progressive fortunes in 2008 will rise or fall over how well they fare connecting with the middle class on economic issues, closing the national security gap, and handling culture issues. Progressive candidates will need a set of policy ideas and communications tools designed to tackle real substantive problems and to help convince middle class and moderate voters that the nation needs a new direction in each of these three areas.
To that end, Third Way has developed a robust policy agenda of more than 20 ideas spanning each of these key areas. These ideas are presented as a set of highly user-friendly “policy modules”. The first set of these modules, one each from our middle class, culture and national security programs, is enclosed with this memorandum. The remaining modules will be released over the next few months.
Each of our modules features:
- A headline policy idea and objective;
- Background data supporting the proposal, including cost estimates where applicable and technical information;
- Suggested language for message;
- Options for press roll-out and launch; and
- Sample responses to potential critiques from opponents.
Our middle class agenda is designed to help anxious middle class families meet the aspirations they hold for themselves and their children. Our policy ideas include making college affordable, helping parents balance work and family, bridging health insurance for people who change jobs or start a business, simplifying 401ks, and relieving the burden on families who care for aging parents.
- Creating Manufacturing Jobs - Here
- Making College More Affordable
- Bridging Health Coverage Between Jobs
- Unsticking the Sandwich Generation
- Making Child Care More Affordable
- Boosting Retirement Wealth
- Launching New Entrepreneurs
- Improving Credit Score Disclosure
- Building Better Government with New Talent
- Rebuilding Homeownership Wealth
- Creating Young Investors
- Easing the Sticker Shock of Energy Prices
Our national security agenda is designed to prove that progressives are tough enough to stand up to our enemies and smart enough to do so strategically and effectively. It includes ideas to reform our intelligence operations, restore the beleaguered military, win the war in Afghanistan and restore American values to our battle against terrorism.
- Restoring Military Equipment after Iraq
- Keeping Nuclear Weapons out of the Hands of Terrorists
- Disrupting the Taliban and al Qaeda in Pakistan
- Modernizing Our Intelligence Force
- Finishing the Job in Afghanistan
- Restoring the Army’s Recruitment and Retention
Our culture agenda allows progressives to go on offense and to appeal to the concerns of families who feel that the bonds of the community are weakening. It includes policy initiatives to protect kids from online predators, keep internet pornography away from children, battle childhood obesity, and protecting communities from crime.
- Creating a 40-Hour Work Week for Prisoners
- Reducing Violence in Schools
- Keeping our Communities Safe from Crime
- Making the Internet Safe for Kids